29 Oct 2014

Who's the odd ball?

I mean...pumpkin?


Autumn is the best time for daydreaming and I've always liked having miniature pumpkins on my table during the season. My new addition is a handmade wool felted magical pumpkin that I've made! He is odd, but his friends don't mind him and I can hear them whispering things to each other all day long. And I have this feeling that they're not talking about the weather... What? I think I've heard one of them saying the ''F'' word! Which in this case, is that they are getting ready for ''Falloween'' of course. You see, one of them is talking with a lisp... Now this explains why the florist offered one of them at a discounted price, I knew it! I suspect it's the one with a tiny bump on the side, poor lad...

Highlights of the day:

- I have walked on the streets wearing my new long wool black coat, which I have asked the tailor to modify for me and now I can button it the whole way up and keep the almighty wind away from me! Not only that, but I wore my brand new red wool scarf. I am going to felt a wool brooch to fix it in place and it's not going to be a pumpkin, but a pair of wonderful cherries!

- I've had my morning coffee in the lovely Cognito again, sitting by the window of course... And while reading my book (Jazz by Toni Morrison, remember?) I wrote a short story entitled ''Melancholy'', which is a girl's name. I wrote it on a blank page inside the book on the space in between the chapters, as I had no paper with me. This girl is extremely dreamy and withdrawn and she does not listen to people speaking, but just pretends to, while focusing on their lips movement and teeth. She believes that someone's teeth carry the person's destiny, somehow engraved in their enamel. And she meets a gentleman who is a fish cleaner. She is having a very rare and interesting job herself, distracting children in the Pediatric section of the St. Sweet hospital who are just about to have a minor surgical intervention. Melancholy pretends to be an archaeologist, telling children that if they are going to dig a hole in their back garden they will discover a prehistoric dinosaur egg. The kid's parents must hate her for that, but on the bright side...it gets the job done! In the rest of her time she is doing a Phd studying the Fungi growing on French cheese. The gentleman offers to stir in her coffee and for the first time in her life Melancholy does not pretend to be listening to this stranger, but she is actually captivated by his words!!! Together they start making up a story about a couple of cheeky mice who steal the food from inside a dumbwaiter lift in a patisserie in a small village called Languedoc. I don't know whether they fall in love and start having babies together as my coffee finished and I ran out of blank space to write on...

- Today's phrases highlighted in the book are: '' burned matches rubbed on eyebrows'', alluding to an old beatifying technique which I found amazing, '' a sun that used to slide up like a yolk of a good country egg'' and ''...the company of satisfied man...''. I chose the last two because men are generally satisfied while eating poached eggs. I mean...you can see the correlation, right?

- I have bought a sun-flower and carried it the whole way home holding it on its long stem and at least three people stopped to tell me what a beautiful flower I had! Tomorrow I will buy a thistle from the same place to keep company to my yellow flower. Then God known's what ''secrets'' those two will start whispering to each other... At least I know what to expect, right? I guess that the cross in between a thistle and a sun-flower is a...what?!

- I've had a spontaneous haircut and it looks so... childish!

- I have cooked delicious chicken parmesan with roasted Brussel sprouts and baked gooey amazing almond meal cookies with chopped pieces of almonds!

- I've dressed up like a French aristocrat and wore lipstick inside the house (unheard of as I usually don't even wear it outside!)

October is almost over but I'm glad that I still have November...Before I turn 24, make a dozen wishes and panic that I'm not 21 anymore.


No comments: